The city, which has 32.000 inhabitants, is located in a central district of Romania, Mures, on the Tarnava Mare river, at an altitude of about 380 m, 54 km south away from Targu Mures and 270 km far from Bucharest.
The first documentary certification of the setting dates back to the year 1280, carrying the name of Castrum Sex. The locality is first mentioned as ’’civitas’’ (city) in the year 1367. The city’s written certification stands since 1435. In the period between the two wars, the city was the residence of the Tarnava Mare district.